Saturday, January 24, 2009

My first doctor visit in Japan

So it's been six months since I moved out here and I guess I should consider myself lucky that it took me that long to have to go to the doctor. My first stroke of luck this year, right?

Wrong.

A few months ago, when I took the JLPT, I let my friend Matt spend the week at my apartment. He had teacher training in Kyoto (he lives in the countryside). Matt had been sick for a while, well, itchy, for a while. He went to the doctor and was told he had eczema. 2 months later and he was so itchy he couldn't sleep through the night. He had scratched deep wounds into his skin. He woke me up scratching when I was in the next room.

So he went to the doctor again on the last day he was in Kyoto with me....

turns out Matt had scabies.

Yep, bugs living in his skin.

And he had been living in my apartment, sleeping on my futons, sitting on my couch for a week....

I cleaned my apartment top to bottom, through away my cushions, cleaned my couch cover, everything....but, it was the hug that got me.

Before we knew he had scabies, Matt was being goofy and gave me a huge hug....and the bugs in his skin.

So I went to the doctor with Matt, who still had residual itching, and Phil, who had a rash on his elbow (which turned out to actually be eczema), and they found bugs...in my skin.

Also, there is nothing more awkward than being a foreign girl, going to the skin doctor with 2 boys, in Japan, for something that is often considered an STD....

Thank god the doctor was in Kyoto City and not Kameoka, because EVERYONE would have heard about it if it were Kameoka....

But I'm on treatment now and it should all be cleared up soon...

But...when does my good luck start???

Food poisoning...stolen wallet...4 foreign hospital visits...scabies? all in 1 month.

No comments: