Somehow my epic failure (thanks Jon) of a Christmas vacation instilled in me a strong desire to tackle the issues I have been facing here in Japan. I love love love my job and my life here, but certain things are just a little trying...
1.I still sometimes feel as if I am an outsider in my office. I don't always know what is going on and don't always feel a connection with the people I work with.
2. I feel like I need to get out and get to know my new hometown better and STOP feeling as if I shouldn't go to a new restaurant or bar simply because I cause a scene. I live here, I speak the language, it's no big deal.
3. I want to do more events that get me involved with the citizens of Kameoka. That is my job.
Somehow, beginning to make these changes was easy. I just need to keep pushing so it keeps changing.
Monday January 5
Today was the first day back at the office for everyone after New Years. Now every morning we have to recite the Citizens Charter and City Employee Declaration. In this, we say 私たちは明るく元気な職場を作ります。 Or "We will work to create an active and bright office environment."
Today, this actually seemed to happen. Everyone was chatting about their vacations and going through all the pleasantries that come with the new year in Japan. Every few minutes someone new would come in and we all had to stand up and bow and address them. It was just really active and everyone was smiling and talking and laughing. Then, Mori-butyou addressed the entire office with his new year speech. We had half an hour free before the mayor's address so that was when everyone turned on me......
"Margaret, tell us about what happened"
"How did you lose your wallet."
"Oh it must have been terrible."
It was kind of funny going over the same story over and over. But it was a great way to get talking. Also, I remembered the most important thing about getting to know people...I have to ask questions too. Sometimes I get so involved in trying to say the right thing in response or avoiding making a mistake that I forget that it is ok to ask questions, in fact I need to ask questions about my coworkers.
After the mayor's address, my supervisor, Kagawa-san, had to take me to get my new foreign residency card and my new bank card, and help me with the health insurance paperwork. It was like my first day all over again.
The best part about today was that I really got the chance to open up and talk to people...Something I plan to continue.
Thursday January 8
Today I was at the other office. I started designing a new masthead for my newsletter because I felt like I really needed to make it my own. Plus I have discovered that working on the newsletter is something I really enjoy. It is a nice break from my translating.
I also heard that the Girl Scouts of Japan were looking for a speaker and since I did Girl Scouts when I was younger I offered to speak for them. I also met with the teachers from a nearby elementary school, as I will be speaking to 2 classes of 6th graders next month. I really like giving these speeches because it gives me the opportunity to interact with students. They usually have some very interesting observations about America and American culture.
At the end of the day, one of my coworkers handed me a plastic bag....with raw deer meat inside. Apparently a deer had been caught in the woods (this office is in the mountains) and they just cut it up and handed out the meat at the end of the day....Now I just need to look up some deer recipes.
Friday January 9
Earlier in the week I was handed a document to sign off on (which is customary. We sign off on EVERYTHING for EVERYONE. If I want to do a project I have to get it approved). It was an invitation to a lecture on city development. I decided that I wanted to attend, not only because it would be good Japanese practice, but also because everyone else in my dept. was going and I thought it would be a good way for me to enhance our relationship.
Today, however, Fukuchi san took the sheet to Kagawa-san and whispered something...then said "Will you ask?"
He turned to me and was like
"You know you signed up for this right?"
Me: "Yeah"
Kagawa: "You know you won't get overtime right?"
Me: "Yeah, that isn't why I signed up"
Kagawa: "Don't you have calligraphy that night?"
Me: "Usually, but it is a vacation day"
Kagawa: "Umm ok"
So I got a little worried. See, being foreign and not always in tune with the nuances of Japanese culture, I tend to over think things. For example, when I sign off on documents I have to use my name stamp (hanko). Now, the important people get their own box. The rest of us all stamp in one box. Now I always worry about where to put mine...what if I put it above Kagawa-san (who is technically my superior), is that bad? etc. I agonize over the weirdest things.
In this case, I thought maybe it wouldn't be appropriate for me to go. They didn't seem to want me to go.... But if they didn't want me to go, why would they give me the option? So I asked....
He said it was ok, they just didn't want me to skip calligraphy to go. But it was just odd how they didn't believe that I understood my own schedule. They thought I felt obligated to go (which is partly true....everyone else was going, so I feel like I should as well), but I really want to go, because it will help me learn about the projects other people are working on and what else I can do.
So this week back was a great step toward reaching my goals. I guess all my issues in Europe gave me the confidence to really put myself out there. If I can handle the hospitals in Germany and France, then I can definitely handle anything they throw my way here.
Friday, January 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment