Today a fellow CIR who works in Kyoto City, Sara, came to Kameoka to give a presentation on her home town in Sardinia, Italy. Sara speaks Italian, Japanese, English, and now is learning French because she married a French speaking man from Cote d’Ivoire, who also speaks Japanese. So basically she is one of those people who sort of deflates my pride at having become competent in Japanese, while still being so nice that I can’t be mad at her about it.
Anyway, I had to get up early and head off to the center in the mountains where I work every Thursday. I was both excited and nervous about watching Sara give her presentation. I was excited to see how she went about presenting and nervous because I knew I would judge myself against her and come up short. I was right about that. However, she is a second year CIR and, while she is better than me at speaking Japanese, I was able to learn a lot from her and also notice that I have a more interactive energetic presentation style. In the end it was a good time.
The presentation actually began with a group of 3 women from Kameoka, Sophia and the Peppermints (yes that is really their name…and it was quite fitting), singing famous Italian songs. I don’t remember what they were, but I was surprised that I knew quite a few of them. But mostly I was distracted by the dresses….Oh My God. I did not know people could make such hideous clothing. Now I am not known for my great fashion sense, though I think I have improved somewhat since my days of wearing red stretchy shorts with a red t-shirt back in like 1st grade….and wow. It was like an explosion of marshmallow peeps or something. Bright orange taffeta (I don’t really know what taffeta is but I am guessing that is what it was…..), crushed red velvet….a dress that looked like someone had pulled down curtains from the Palace at Versailles or something….long gloves….huge, brightly colored flowers that clash with the dress in the hair….
They were going for elegant…..
Didn’t work.
After the musical presentation Sara gave her speech on Sardinia. I was impressed with her confidence while she spoke. She seemed to know exactly what she was saying and she was very easy to understand. I learned a lot about grammatical patterns I could use and ways to prepare presentations through watching her. I also learned a lot about Sardinia, making me want to go there….hmmm maybe after Thailand.
She also provided a variety of famous Sardinian foods…pasta, a couple styles of salami, cheese, etc.
See Mom, I’m not the only one who asks for things to be sent…and at least I never ask for enough stuff for like 100 people (^_~)
Also, today was White Day, the counterpart to Valentines Day where girls receive chocolate...I felt quite special... I didn't even get that much attention when I was dating someone...
When I got home, I had to get ready to go to Tokyo the next day to pick up my parents for their visit.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment