Friday, January 29, 2010

Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Today I had a New Year's Party with a group of city hall workers that I have lunch with every once and while (Koshio and Fukuchi from my division, Uemura, Yamauchi, Iwamoto, and Dara). We started of at a really nice restaurant called Rakuza. It is one of those restaurants that I never would have noticed if I hadn't been introduced to it. I honestly don't know how places like these get business. There are so many restaurants in each tiny narrow building and the signs don't stand out at all. How do people find them?

Anyway, we sat down at these really nice triangular shaped tables (which I thought was much better than a rectangle or circle because it was perfect for being able to talk to everyone. I really like that. Also, the windows looked out over the river. It was really nice.

As with most course meals in Japan, there was a lot of food. It began with an appetizer.


After the appetizer came the plate of sashimi. Uemura and Yamauchi were in the mood to be photographed so they became our food models. This is Uemura modeling our sashimi plate.




Next came the salad, modeled by Mr. Yamauchi. Yamauchi is one of the men that I go to eat ramen with every few months and it was cool to see him with a different group of people. Actually it was great to hang out with all of them. I was worried that I would have trouble keeping up with the conversation, but I think I did ok, that is, until they got me to confess all the details about my relationship with The Boy. They all already knew about us anyway, so I figured I might as well tell them the truth. Some people may say that's not the right way to go about it, but I am uncomfortable with the Japanese way of keeping everything about their personal lives a secret. I can understand keeping a lot of details secret, but they don't even tell close friends when they get engaged.




After the salad we had a fried tofu course.



After the fried tofu, they brought out some raw meat and a rock....Modeled by Iwamoto.



The rock was really really hot, and we cooked the duck meat on the rock. It was delicious.



We paused during eating to take a bunch of pictures. You can't see her because she is hiding, but Fukuchi is in this group as well.



Koshio (my boss) and Yamauchi posed for us. Koshio is adopting the oh so cute Japanese girl pose.



They even got me in a photo o(>< )o o( ><)o



Next came the tempura course.



Followed by a giant pot of rice modeled by Uemura.



The rice came with miso soup.



Yamauchi modeled the soy milk pudding dessert. Sounds kinda gross, but it was good. The flake things on the bottom are corn flakes, which the Japanese love to put in parfait and other desserts.





Our next stop was the Ninja restaurant, appropriately named as it is ninja themed. It has a maze and everything, so that only the ninja can find their way around inside. Uemura adopted the ninja theme with his oshibori, or hot towel, while Koshio and Yamauchi tried to be cute.




We got to Ninja too late to be able to go through the maze, but we did get to go in and get dessert.



On the way inside, Uemura and Yamauchi sneaked in like ninja.




Our waitress was dressed up as a ninja and adopted older speech styles.



This was the chocolate cake dessert.



I don't actually know what this is, but I think it was something vanilla in the shape of a frog with shredded cheese on top.



This is a Japanese style mont blanc.


I have no idea what dessert this is.



I got a tower of chocolate brownie and azuki red bean ice cream with a hot chocolatey dressing.



It was good until it feel down :(



At the end of the night, we all posed as ninja, at Uemura's request. He and Yamauchi were quite hilarious. They were goofing around all night. They were hiding in the hallways at the ninja restaurant and adopted a ninja stance while walking everywhere. It was adorable.

No comments: