Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fox...Kannon...and old friends

Today I met Lara and Ryan at Kyoto Station and we went together to Fushimi Inari. I have been to Fushimi Inari a bunch of times, but I really wanted to see Lara again before she went home. We hadn’t seen each other since we went to Hiroshima together last October.

It was really good to see them. I had forgotten just how much fun Lara is. We actually hiked all of Fushimi Inari, which I have never done before. Fushimi Inari is a huge shrine that runs up a mountain. It was made famous in the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. It took us about 2 hours to climb the whole thing but it ended up being worth it. It was good exercise at least and the view out over Kyoto City is pretty incredible. Mostly it was just really great to catch up with Lara and Ryan. The 2 hour hike seemed to be only 30 minutes.

After we finished the hike we grabbed lunch at Kyoto Station and then walked of to find Sanjyuusangendo which has 1000 statues of Kannon lined up in the main temple. It’s really quite a sight. I had never been there before so I really enjoyed it. It’s always a nice surprise when I am introduced to a place in Kyoto I have never been before...I mean there are tons of places I don’t know but I am pretty familiar with most of the tourist sites, so finding a new one is always really exciting.

It gives me more to do when people visit *hint hint*

After we finished wandering the temple we went our separate ways, and I, exhausted from wandering around temples and hiking, on top of yesterday’s 10 hour date, went home and fell asleep.

1 comment:

nm5812 said...

I feel very smart knowing the Fox in your title refers to the fox statues at the Fushimi Inari shrine.
By the way, if we did not hike the whole thing with you in March, how big is that place? We were climbing those stairs FOREVER!