Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lunch date...or how to hide your lunch date from your coworkers.

Well the boy had mentioned a few times about how it is better if no one at city hall sees us hanging out because we live in a small town and the news would spread like wildfire.

On Sunday I sent him a message taking him up on his offer to eat lunch together this week. I asked him what would work best for him and he said that we could get together Tuesday and if I wanted, we could eat lunch together Wednesday too (considering that I only eat at city hall Mon-Wed, that isn't too bad (^_^) ).

So on Monday during lunch I sent him 3 options...though I knew which one he would choose already...
1. Lunch at the Chinese place across from city hall which is usually full of city hall workers.

2. My favorite cafe

3. Bringing lunches and finding a place to eat outside.

So as I expected he chose the cafe. But at least I gave him options. And at least I finally did the inviting, which I haven't done since that fiasco of a BBQ.

We decided to meet at the Lawsons down the street from city hall. He offered to meet me outside the employee entrance, but he didn't really sound like he wanted to, and last time we met there, he kept looking over his shoulder and barely spoke to me til we got a bit further away so I just decided we should meet further away. He seemed to think that was a good idea.

He got there first and was waiting inside the Lawsons when I got there...This country really throws me off sometimes. He mentioned he had seen me that morning (and I had seen him too but pretended not too because I didn't wanna make him uncomfortable if he didn't wanna be seen talking to me.) So I told him that. And he laughed and said that it really isn't a big deal. He just doesn't want to become the topic of gossip, but if we do whatever.

So we walked to the cafe (I had double checked that we would have enough time to get there yesterday during lunch). For once I actually was able to order for myself...woo hoo...but yeah. I forgot that we only had like 30 minutes and I ordered my usual and it was big and was not easy to eat completely in that short amount of time....while talking...with insane butterflies in my stomach.

He told me some more about why men from Kyuusyuu (his home island) are so quiet; apparently being quiet is a sign of masculinity?? And we somehow got on to talking about Mama's boys and Daddy's little girls. It was pretty funny. They have similar concepts in Japan too.

Um I'm a slow eater and he, along with every other Japanese person, is a fast eater so he finished way before me. So of course he went to pay while I finished up (only having an hour to walk 10 minutes away, leaving you only about 30 minutes to eat once you factor in waiting for the food, makes things a bit rushed). So I said I'd pay tomorrow.

It was fun. I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable around him and conversation comes much more smoothly now. We walked back to city hall and we were running a bit late. We got on the elevator and it was full of other employees. We were on the side that doesn't stop on the 5th floor because of the mayor's office but my friend Nakagawa-san was on the elevator and he has the access code so he punched it in for us. The boy got off on the 3rd floor and though I could tell he wanted to he didn't say anything.

When Nakagawa-san and I got off the elevator he looked at me really suspiciously and asked...

Nakagawa: "Did you go somewhere for lunch"
Me: "Oh I just ate outside."
Nakagawa: "Do you usually eat outside?"
Me: "Yeah. It's more fun when the ALT's are here so I'm not alone but yeah."
Nakagawa *pointing at elevator* "Oh you were alone? You didn't go out with anyone?"
Me: "nope just on my own."

I have no idea if he believed me or not...

Later that night the boy sent a message apologizing for not saying goodbye but that it was awkward with everyone around. I told him I laughed to myself about it.

Being here really changes the way you react to things like this. I can't see myself being ok with this back home...I guess depending on the situation.

No comments: