Friday, September 11, 2009

Blue beer? Not as good as it sounds...and it don't sound good

Tonight was an enkai with my division, only with the people who left in April during the transfers. So my old supervisor and my old kakari-tyou were there instead of my new ones.

It was a pretty fun time. We went to a restaurant themed on Hokkaido style cooking. It was a really small place fairly close to Kyoto Station but not many foreigners find it because it is tucked away in an alley. Of course this meant that I got the typical foreigner treatment...

The woman of the restaurant continually asked my coworkers if I could eat raw fish and even after I answered directly she still treated me as if I couldn't speak Japanese.

Every dish she brought out, she asked if I was ok with it.

And sometimes I wasn't. I have made it one full year without eating salmon roe and sadly that streak came to an end today. Not as bad as I expected, but still not good.

Then of course there was the special Hokkaido beer. I had to order it because it was blue. And it was as gross as it sounds. But we all enjoyed trying it, and I especially enjoyed watching my ex-supervisor, who hates alcohol, make his "that's gross" face after trying it.

No comments: