Today The Boy and I couldn't come up with anything fun we wanted to do so we decided to head into Kyoto to see GI Joe.
We grabbed lunch at a nice little cafe that he used to go to sometimes when he lived in Kyoto. We started talking about travel and eventually ended up talking about Che Guevara and Fidel Castro and the different ways they are viewed. He told me that Japanese people don't think Fidel Castro was a bad person or a bad leader. It led to a long and interesting discussion about perspective and the history of Cuba. Unfortunately neither of us really knew much about it so we were somewhat limited.
Then we went off to the movie.
I had wanted to see it, but honestly wasn't all that impressed with it. It was fun for an action flick but nothing too spectacular. I thought it could have been shorter. But I was struck by how AMERICAN it was. I mean, of course GI Joe, and American symbol, would be American, but I was surprised at how much I noticed it.
I don't think he was too impressed with the movie, but enjoyed the awesome stereotypes they used.
After the movie he wanted to find a book to give to my friend Greg (they are both very interested in literature) so we went to the bookstore.
By this point I had a massive headache. I was trying to just keep going and ignore it but it was becoming a bit impossible so we headed back home.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment