Saturday, February 14, 2009

Barentain??

Ah, Valentines Day. The day when men and women spend money to prove their love for each other....

or in Japan, the day when women by chocolate for just about every man they know.

In Japan, Valentines Day is a holiday where women give chocolate to men and usually don't receive anything. There are two kinds of chocolate: giri choco and honmei choco... ie. Chocolate I give because I have to and Chocolate I give because I love you. You can tell the difference by the packaging, supposedly, as honmei choco is far more ornately wrapped.

I was terrified of handing out my chocolate to my coworkers and accidently telling them I love them....

So on the Monday after Valentines Day I gave everyone homemade chocolate covered strawberries. It went over really well and I didn't have to worry about professing a non-existent love to one of my co-workers. (^_^)

Now, on March 14, the Japanese have White Day, which is when the men reciprocate and buy the women chocolate...we'll see how that goes.

Now, this was the first Valentine's Day I have spent alone since I was about 15...and I expected to feel a bit sad or lonely or whatever, but I didn't. Maybe it is just being in Japan and not being surrounded by big red heart balloons and love songs and also the fact that I have like 2 male friends that I see on a regular basis, but it just seemed like any other day.

Plus I did spend the day with Laurel...I had a speech the next day so we spent the morning at Mister Donuts drinking coffee (seriously, unlimited free refills of coffee is a TERRIBLE idea...couldn't stop shaking). Then we went to McDonalds for dinner, very romantic. It was so American.

Now, as we walked into McDonalds, I got my first official proposition from a Japanese guy....

He was a young teenager standing outside McDonalds wearing one of those hockey masks from the Friday the 13th movies...and he shouted at me...

"Watsu Appu" (what's up)
"Barentain???" (I believe this meant that he wanted me and Laurel to be his Valentine...)

I felt very special. I guess that is how Japanese guys get girls...yelling at them and covering their faces. (⌒▽⌒)ノ_彡☆バンバン!

No comments: