These are the days I live for. Really. I love this job. \(^^)/
I spent most of last night doing my final preparations for the presentation. They wanted me to teach greetings commonly used in America, but as the kids are taking English, they all already knew how to say most of the common ones. So I decided to play a gesture game. So I made four sets of cards with different phrases on them. I had the kids separate into 4 groups and gave each a set of cards. Then I stood in front of them and did a gesture, then had them guess what it meant, based on the cards they had. Most of them did really well, and it was a really fun way to get them interacting with me.
Then I made them all a Valentines Day gift. I had used most of the conversation hearts my parents sent me, so I emptied the leftover boxes into a bowl and then made sets with saran wrap and red and pink twist ties. I also made one of those shoe boxes we used to all make for our class parties and showed them kids valentines.
The speech itself went over fairly well. Before I even started I was surrounded by a group of 12 of them, all introducing themselves and then asking me if I remembered their names...
"I'm Akiko"
"I'm Momoko"
"I'm Kirasaldkfjakldsjf" (that kid mumbled)
"I'm Nagaki"
Then they'd each yell "Do you remember me??" "My name my name?"
And of course they were all moving around and darn it English names are hard enough... But I did my best and a few of their names actually stuck.
They were all super jealous of our 3 month summer vacation, but didn't think it was so great when they learned how short our other vacations are. They screamed when I told them my house has a basement, and couldn't believe that my kitchen was as big as most of their apartments.
I played something called a Maru Batsu quiz with them (True False), having them stand if it was true and stay sitting if it were false. This got them moving so they stayed interested.
They all had a lot of questions too, about English, why I study Japanese, American food, cars, etc.
I should have practiced more, because I messed up when speaking and relied on my script too much, but I think I am getting sick and am losing my voice as well. Because of my throat issues I mispronounced a few words and the kids laughed, but it was good natured and they all seemed pretty impressed with me.
Then I passed out the candy and they got really excited. As I was passing it out, one boy waved me over....
Boy: "Magaretto sensei...he thinks you look like Tom Cruise
I laugh and turn to my colleague (who has also said this to me) and tell her
"Did you hear that Kojima-san, he thinks I look like Tom Cruise"
At which point ALL the students look at me and....
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" "Tommu Cruuzu ya!" "kyaaaaaaaaaa" chatter chatter chatter....
![]() |  ![]() |
to which I laugh and just say
"But Tom Cruise is a boy.....(*´ο`*)=3"
I guess I can't escape it. And it probably didn't help that with my throat sore and scratchy I sounded a bit mannish....
Then we went to have lunch. In Japan the students have 1 classroom and don't move. The teachers move around instead. They also eat lunch in their classrooms and they cook it themselves. Today was mini hot dogs, soup, and some vegetable mix. They drink milk. The teachers eat the same food as the kids. Today they were also toasting bread on the stove in the classroom (by stove I mean space heater).
During lunch they kept firing questions at me, and invited me to play soccer with them...but unfortunately I had only brought heels so I couldn't...Also, the kinda cute teacher was almost a professional soccer player before becoming a teacher, so I am glad I didn't go outside and make an ass out of myself.
So I stayed inside and played games with the kids who didn't go out. I looked out the window at one point and 2 kids on the playground, probably 4th or 5th graders saw me and started pointing...then they yelled to their classmates who were inside....
"Hey look! Look up at the window up there...there's a foreigner...an English speaking person.. No no Up there."
I couldn't help but laugh... it's like being a celebrity.
At the end they had me sign several sheets of paper and gave me a few presents before I walked back to the principals office for coffee and a meeting with the teachers who brought me in.
During the meeting we talked about my studies and what I do and about the cute teachers soccer skills before Kojima-san drove me back to the Center.



No comments:
Post a Comment