Thursday, August 6, 2009

Obon Dance



It's obon season in Japan again. Obon is the holiday when the spirits of ones ancestors return to their homes to visit. This is when most Japanese people will take their summer vacations to visit their home towns and families and there are also a variety of festivals at different shrines. Tonight was our Obon Dance Festival. The citizens all gather at a specified point in the town and they do the Obon dance. It's kind of like a line dance that they do in a large circle.

This was my first year participating in the event because we had the dates messed up last year, having only just arrived. The Boy's division was in charge of organizing the event so he was working it. I ended up going over with Paulette and then meeting up with Dara later as well.



I really love the atmosphere of Japanese festivals. It's just nice to see everyone having a good time. Plus the food is awesome. Nothing beats fair food in Japan. Like shaved ice, and yakisoba, and fried chicken. First Paulette and I grabbed some dinner. While we walked around eating it I got a tap on my shoulder. I turned around but no one was there--And when I looked forward again The Boy was laughing as he walked off to wherever he was going for work. I was just surprised he made himself known. We have run into each other in much less crowded places and he has said nothing.

Later, with Dara, we got do it yourself shaved ice, where we got to put on our own syrup. I of course over did it with the Blue Hawaii and Melon flavors so I wound up with a dark blue green tongue (^_^)



As the dance wound down they started up the raffle for prizes. I of course won nothing but that was ok because The Boy was handing out prizes and I didn't want to have to go up there...Though, I was really shocked because as he was setting up the tables in the center he actually waved at me.

Sad isn't it that I get really excited when my "person I sometimes go out with" acknowledges me in public _| ̄|○

Shigeno-san won a bike. And then I just stood around talking to Takeuchi-san and other friends while everyone cleaned up. I haven't been out with the ramen crew in months so it was great to see Takeuchi again. Everyone started to leave and I didn't want to be the loser standing around waiting for The Boy to finish working so I went home too.

No comments: